- This is a vegan and gluten free, natural raw dessert or beverage. There is no added sweetening.
- For 4 persons
- 1.5 cups tender coconut water
- 1/2 cup tender coconut meat
- 8 leaves fresh Italian basil and a few leaves to garnish
- 1/4 cup pineapple cut into small pieces about 1/5 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup pineapple piece pureed
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple juice (unsweetened)
- For the granita freeze the coconut water in an ice proof box. Every 1 hour use a spoon to scrape the freezing tender coconut water. Do this thrice until you have crushed ice consistency. Keep frozen.
- While the coconut water is freezing chop the tender coconut into small pieces, cover and chill.
- Puree the basil and pineapple juice. Strain through a fine sieve. Discard the pulp and chill the juice.
- Puree the chopped pineapple and chill.
- To Assemble
- You will need to work fast in a hot climate. Keep all ingredients spoons and glasses ready before you take the granita out of the freezer.
- This can be served as a beverage in taller champagne flutes or as a vegan dessert in small chai glasses or dessert cups.
- Divide tender coconut granita among 4 glasses. Top with chopped tender coconut meat. Drizzle with basil and pineapple juice and top with pureed pineapple. Garnish with fresh basil. Serve immediately with cocktail sticks or dessert spoons.
© 2023 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande