An easy dessert thats festive and can be served in indivIdual portions with fresh fruit. To make 500 grams of strained yoghurt you will need 1 kg of full fat plain yogurt.
Makes 1 shallow 7 inch pie/tart dish or 8 small to medium ramekins
- 500 grams full fat strained dahi or yoghurt
- 1 can ( 380-400 gm) condensed milk
- ¼ cup full cream milk powder
- 1.5 cups hot water
- 2 tbsp of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon high quality Kashmiri saffron strands
- 1 tsp powdered cardamom seeds or use nutmeg if you prefer
- 3 tablespoons roasted almond flakes
- 2 tablespoons shelled unsalted pistachios, chopped
- To make strained yogurt at home put 1 kg of full fat plain yogurt in a cheesecloth, tie it tightly and place over a sieve. Place the sieve over a dish and refrigerate overnight. If you live in a cool climate you can leave the yogurt outside. Squeeze the liquid from the cheesecloth a few times. The why can be added to lentils and soup.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F and prepare bottom rack.
- Combine saffron with hot water. Let sit 5 minutes then add milk powder and combine till smooth
- In a mixing bowl combine all remaining ingredients and whisk well until very smooth and free of lumps. Add saffron milk and stir well.
- Pour into a wide baking dish about 8 inch in diameter and 2-2.5 inches deep
- Place the dish in a roasting pan and fill the tray with hot water to approximately ½-¾ of the way up the sides creating a water bath. This will allow the yogurt to cook slowly.
- Cover with aluminium foil. Use a fork to prick a few holes on the top of the foil to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until the top starts to turn a very golden. Remove from the oven, take off the foil and allow to cool completely. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- Garnish with roasted nuts and serve chilled with fresh fruit or poached fruit. Its terrific as is also.
BAKED KESAR PISTA YOGURT