- 2 1/2 cups fine semolina or sooji flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3/4 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 2 tbsp plain, regular unflavoured dahi or yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tsps vegetable oil for brushing the tray
- 12 whole almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the sugar, yogurt and butter together until well incorporated. Add the milk, orange zest, and stir again. Now add all the remaining ingredients and mix well for a smooth batter.
- Brush aa square 9 inch or rectangular 10 by 8 inch cake pan with oil and then line with parchment paper. The size of your pan will determine how deep each square is. Some like a thinner slice but if you prefer a thicker one use an 8 inch square.
- Pour the batter into the pan and smoothen the top with a spatula.
- Cover the batter and let it rest about 25 minutes. As the semolina absorbs the liquid it will thicken.
- Remove the cover and using a thin sharp knife lightly score the tops diagonally to make 12 diamonds. At this time preheat your oven to 350F. prepare the middle rack.
- Place the almonds in the batter one for each square. For a thick square you could place it face down for a thinner slice you could place the almond on its vertical side.
- Bake until the top is golden and the edges are beginning to caramelise about 30-35 minutes. Turn the broiler on to broil the top a few minutes. Remove the cake pan from the oven as soon as the top begins to darken to a colour you like. Be careful not to burn the cake.
- Immediately pour the hot sugar syrup over the hot Namoura. Let it cool at room temperature for a few hours before serving.
FOR SUGAR SYRUP:
- Combine all the ingredients for the syrup and boil until thickened and reduced in volume by a third. Do not stir while it boils. the syrup need