This recipe came to me from chef P Saravanan at the Taj Coromandel in Chennai. This delicious red masala pomfret melts in your mouth and is very easy to prepare.
Shown in the photo on the left of the paratha.
WHITE POMFRET 500 GM
TURMERIC POWDER 15 GM
LIME JUICE 15 ML
DRY RED KASHMIRI CHILLY 80 GM
SHALLOTS 40 GM
PEELED GARLIC 25 GM
TAMARIND PULP 25 GM
BLACK PEPPERCORNS 10 GM
CURRY LEAVES 6 SALT TO TASTE
SUNFLOWER OIL 20 ML
• Wash the fillets and pat them dry with paper towels. Brush with turmeric and lime juice. Cover and reserve.
• Using a mortar and pestle macerate the dry chillies, shallots, peeled garlic, black pepper, curry leaves and tamarind pulp in a bowl.
• Sprinkle water and grind the mixture to a smooth paste.
• Apply the spice paste to the pomfret fillets. Cover tightly and refrigerate 1 hour.
• Preheat a griddle and sprinkle oil on it. Gently place the marinated fish fillets on the griddle and cook till both sides get an even brown color and the fish is cooked though.