This classic Tamil recipe came to me from Chef P Saravanan at the Taj Coromandel in Chennai
1. Curry leaves 500g
2. Tamarind concentrate 30g
3. Channa dal or split chick pea 50g
4. Indian Green chilly 5 pieces about 1 inch long, stalks removed
5. Grated coconut 50g
6. salt to taste
1. Refined oil 30g
2. Mustard 30g
3. Split urad dal 20g
4. Madras round chillies 5nos
5. Curry leaves 20g
6. Hing powder 20g
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a small skillet or tempering spoon on high heat. When oil is hot but not smoking reduce flame to medium.
2. Temper the curry leaves, cook 30 seconds until they look crisp. Drain and reserve. Add more oil, when hot temper the Bengal gram about 30 seconds, drain and reserve.
3. Grind together the curry leaves, Bengal gram, green chillies, grated coconut, tamarind and salt to a fine paste.
4. Temper the chutney with oil, mustard, split urad dal, and curry leaves, Madras round chillies and hing powder.
5. Mix the tempering to the chutney, check seasoning and serve.