Category Main Dish
- THIS RECIPE FOR SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS IS COMMONLY SERVED IN OLD WORLD COLONIAL GYMKHANAS IN INDIA. I ATE THIS AT THE BOMBAY GYMKHANA AND LOVED IT. A DEEP RICH SAUCE THATS A CROSS BETWEEN A MIRE POIX AND A MARINARA, IT USES WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE- AN INGREDIENT COMMONLY USED IN PARSI AND ANGLO-INDIAN DISHES.
- SERVES 6
- FOR 24 ONE INCH MEATBALLS
- 1 kg finely ground chicken, completely drained of water
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 3/4 cup toasted breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- For the sauce
- 1 kg tinned peeled chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup white onion finely chopped
- 2 tbspns finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp finely chopped celery stalk
- 2 tbsp finely chopped carrots
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (such as HP)
- 1 tsp b brown sugar or to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and paprika or red chilli flakes
- 1/2-3/4 kg package of spaghetti (based on size of portions for 4-6)
- FOR MEATBALLS
- Place ground chicken,eggs, bread crumbs, garlic,oregano, pepper and 1/2 tsp salt in a medium bowl.
- Knead mixture together with hand till well combined combined.
- Form mixture into 1-inch balls. Cover and refrigerate.
- FOR SAUCE
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium flame. Add onions and celery and saute 2 minutes until softened. Add carrots and cook 2 minutes until softened. Add garlic and continue to cook until fragrant. Add all remaining ingredients, 2 cups water stir well and simmer on a medium flame until you have a thick well incorporated sauce. Taste and season with salt, chilli and sugar as required.
- Add the meatballs to the hot sauce and lower flame. Cook until meatballs are done.
- Serve over spaghetti with a side of Parmesan cheese.
© 2023 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande