- FOR 16 TURNOVERS
- 1 KG PATE BRISEE OR SHORT CRUST PASTRY (SEE RECIPE HERE)
- 1 CUP FINELY CHOPPED DATES (MEDJOOL)
- PINCH SALT
- 1/2 CUP DATE SYRUP OR GOLDEN HONEY
- 1 TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
- 1/2 CUP PEELED AND LIGHTLY TOASTED PECANS OR SKINNED WALNUTS IN VERY SMALL PIECES
- 1/2 CUP OF LIGHTLY WARMED HONEY OR DATE SYRUP
- ICING SUGAR FOR DUSTING (OPTIONAL)
- Combine the dates, salt, honey or date syrup, cinnamon and 1/2 cup of water in a small saucepan and cook on low heat for 10 minutes stirring to prevent burning. Once the mixture is soft and sticky but dry switch off the flame and cool completely. Stir in the walnuts or pecans only when you are ready to fill the turnovers.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Dust a large clean dry surface with maida or all purpose flour. Roll out the pastry into an even 12 inch square. Slice lengthwise into 4 inch strips using a sharp knife or pastry cutter. Then cut horizontally into 4 equal strips to form 16 squares.
- Lightly and without cutting through the dough score each square lightly across the middle to form a triangle.
- Use a small cookie cutter or your choice- heart or flower shaped, round or star shaped no more than a 1/5 inch round and puncture holes into one part of the triangle for each square. Remove the little bits of dough to reveal a latticed flap.
- Fill the center of the non perforated triangle with about 1.5 teaspoons of date and walnut pecan filling. Spread the filling about carefully so it fills the corners of the triangle. Flip the perforated dough over the filling and press down the sides gently to seal. Use a fork to press down on both sides and seal the pastry triangle.
- Bake on a non-stick sheet tray for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool 15 minutes and brush lightly with honey. Let rest 10 minutes
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired just before serving.
© 2022 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande