Butternut squash and red pumpkin can be used to prepare this recipe.
if you want a smaller portion use butternut squash and reduce the marinade in proportion. Generally
pumpkins can vary greatly in size. A 2.5 kg pumpkin once peeled and trimmed can feed atleast 12 people as a side. If you are only able to find a larger pumpkin use only half and reserve the other for a different dish.
- 2-2.5 kg small red pumpkin (lal kadoo)
- 50 g butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 cloves of garlic smashed
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or use honey
- 2 tsp paprika or use chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 12 fresh sage leaves, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted, roughly chopped
- Zest and juice of one navel orange
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 170F. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper if you are making a whole pumpkin otherwise you will need just one that can fit half the pumpkin. Brush sheets with 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil.
- Combine melted butter, garlic cloves, maple syrup or honey, remaining oil, paprika and orange lemon zest and juice. Add salt to taste and adjust for spiciness. Reserve.
- Peel pumpkin. Cut in half lengthways. Scoop out seeds and use to make toasted spiced seeds if you like.
- Place one pumpkin half, cut-side down, on a chopping board. Slice pumpkin thinly into crescents leaving a half inch base uncut. This will help support the slices as they cook. Transfer to 1 prepared tray. Brush with half the marinade on both sides. Roll up some aluminium foil into a ball and place inside the cavity of the pumpkin. The center cooks much faster than the sides and can sometimes sink in the middle. You don’t have to do this but if you are using a large pumpkin it may prevent your centrepiece from slumping.
- Spread the sage leaves on top. Cover with foil. Make several tiny holes in the foil with a fork and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil brush again with half the remaining maple oil mixture. Roast until until golden and tender.
- While the pumpkin is baking thicken the remaining sauce into a glaze like consistency.
- Remove pumpkin from the oven and check for doneness. Glaze with thickened marinade. Garnish with remaining sage and toasted nuts. Slice and serve.
RED PUMPKIN HASSELBACK