- Also called Arancini di Riso these fried rice balls made with Arborio, a short, fat grained Italian rice that is chewy and doesn't breakdown easily. It's available at most specialty stores and online. Arancini are delicious as a snack or appetizer. You can omit the cheese in the center if you prefer.
- Unflavored Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 2 cups Mushroom Risotto cooled
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 cups good quality and fresh dried breadcrumbs
- 125 grams mozzarella, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- For Mushroom Risotto
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup dried exotic mushrooms like Porcini or mixed mushrooms in a heat proof bowl
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 100 grams white mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh finely chopped oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice or short-grain white rice
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, optional
- Sprigs of parsley to garnish serving plate (optional)
- Mushroom Risotto
- Boil broth and oregano in a large saucepan. When broth reaches a boil remove one cup of broth and pour over the dried mushrooms. Keep the remaining broth on a very low flame.
- When mushrooms soften chop them up and reserve along with any extra liquid.
- Melt the butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium flame. Add olive oil and butter. Saute onions until tender, about 8-9 minutes. Add white mushrooms and garlic. Saute until the mushrooms are tender and dry, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and saute for a few minutes. Add the wine. Cook 2 minutes and add dried chopped mushrooms and their liquid. Then add 1 cup of hot oregano broth, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Continue adding more broth using a ladle and stirring often, about 20 minutes until creamy. Switch off flame. Cool 20 minutes. Add parmesan and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cool and then cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- TO ROLL
- Remove risotto from the refrigerator, add 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and mix well. Wet your palms, then roll risotto into small 1.25 balls. Set on a tray and keep covered.
- Take each ball and place in the center of your palm. Flatten gently and place a piece of mozzarella in the center. Then close the ball again so the cheese is in the center and fully covered. Return balls to the tray and keep covered.
- TO FRY
- Pour 3 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy large saucepan and heat on medium flame.
- Place the remaining breadcrumbs in a medium bowl and the beaten eggs in another. Roll the balls egg and then in breadcrumbs. Repeat twice so balls are fully coated.
- Fry one ball first to ensure oil is hot enough. When golden brown drain and taste test to ensure proper seasoning.
- Fry remaining rice balls 4-6 at a time until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the rice balls to paper towels and allow them to drain. Let rest 2 minutes. Serve hot with parsley garnish.
© 2023 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande