- This is a dish of leftover vegetable, cheese and greens. You can substitute the kale with chard, radicchio even spinach, the cauliflower with broccoli and use various leftover pastas for the dish. I used a vegan sausage.
- Serves 4-5
- 250 grams cauliflower florets
- 2 cups finely chopped greens of your choice- kale, swiss chard
- 1 cup chopped sausage of your choice
- 1.25 cups grated cheeses such as fontina, cheddar, gruyere, emmentaler
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, penne, farfalle or fusilli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350C. prepare middle rack.
- Heat the butter or olive oil and saute the flour on a medium flame about 2 minutes. Add the milk, cauliflower and a teaspoon of black pepper and hot sauce. Cook 2-3 minutes. Switch off flame. Stir in a cup of room temperature water.
- Add finely chopped kale or greens of your choice, the pasta and stir well. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and stir gently into casserole. Taste for salt and adjust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until cauliflower and pasta is done. Serve hot with crusty bread.
© 2023 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande