This is an easy eggless cracker recipe that produces a buttery cracker you will crave.
These crackers are wonderful as is but can also be used as a canape base for drier toppings.
As they are brittle they shouldn't be used to dip.
You can replace mild cheddar with sharp cheddar and throw in some blue cheese, dried herbs or cracked black pepper instead You could also used a spicy cheese and omit the chilli powder.
- Makes about 3 dozen 1 inch squares, little hearts or circles
- 250 Grams pound coarsely grated mild or sharp white Cheddar (Amul)
- 1.5 cups Maida or all-purpose flour plus extra
- 3/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Rounded 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare two trays middle and low by lining with wax paper.
- Pulse cheese, flour, butter, salt, and cayenne in a food processor until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. You can also do this by hand using a fork.
- Add milk and pulse or mix until dough forms a loose ball. If dough is too dry or too sticky add a little more milk and flour as required.
- The dough should soft but pliable and easy to roll.
- Divide dough into 2 portions and keep covered with a clean damp cloth.
- Flour a clean, flat surface generously with flour.
- Roll out half the dough with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 5 by 6-inch rectangle (about 1/6 inch deep).
- Flour a pastry cutter, sharp knife or pizza cutter lightly and cut into squares of your choice. Or a small one inch cookie cutter if you want round or heart shaped crackers.
- Carefully transfer to lined baking trays. There should be a small space between every square to prevent sticking. using a fork gently prick each square. This will reduce puffing.
- Bake until light golden 15-17 minutes. Switch racks over half way through to ensure even baking.
- Cool completely on baking sheets on racks, about 15 minutes.
- Serve as is or as a canape with a variety of toppings such as olive tapenade, goat cheese, etc.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container.
© 2023 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande