- Serves 4 as a main course
- 350 grams small cauliflower florets
- 1 pound bucatini/spaghetti/fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons freshly minced garlic
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 cups whole-milk
- 1/2 tbsp freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley - flat leaf is ideal but you can use curly as well
- 3/4 cup freshly toasted breadcrumbs made from garlic bread
- 1/2 cup parmesan shredded
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts or use chilgoza (optional)
- Set a stock pot of water with 1/2 tsp salt to boil.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan on medium heat. Add the garlic and saute 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the florets, and toss well. Saute 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk, nutmeg and white pepper and lower flame and let the cauliflower cook until tender to eat but still has some bite.
- Add pasta to the boiling water and cook 7 minutes. The pasta should be undercooked.
- Strain and add the undercooked pasta to the saucepan with the cauliflower. Add 1/4 cup of the starchy pasta water to the saucepan and toss the pasta until well coated. Let it cook in the sauce another 1 minute or so until al dente.
- Switch off flame. Stir in the parmesan and toss well. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Add the parsley and toss again.
- Garnish with garlic breadcrumbs and pine nuts.
© 2022 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande