- This raw salad is a margarita on a plate. It should be served with fruit knives and forks. If you prefer you can also discard the rind and cube the watermelon instead and serve it as a tossed salad.
- FOR SALAD 1 wedge per person
- 1 small chilled watermelon cut into 12 wedges (3-31/2 inch triangles)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian basil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts lightly toasted (optional)
- Wedges of lime to garnish (optional)
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 tablespoons gold tequila
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon peeled and finely grated fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon red chillie flakes pounded lightly (not powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon kitchen salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Shake all the ingredients for the dressing together in a small jar. Refrigerate 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Place wedges on a large serving tray or in small individual plates. Sprinkle with pine nuts, basil and mint.
- Shake the dressing in the jar again and taste for salt. Spoon over the wedges. Serve immediately.
© 2022 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande