- SERVES 6
- 6 thick slices Tuscan or sourdough bread or use 2 4-5 inch round Brun/Kadak Pav sliced thickly into 3 slices each.
- 6 red good quality ripe tomatoes or 150 grams cherry tomatoes, washed and drained
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 6 basil leaves, chiffonade (slice in even strips)
- Extra virgin Olive oil
- Kitchen salt or sea salt or pounded khada namak if you have it
- Halve the tomatoes.
- Remove some of the seeds and pulp and discard. If you use cherry tomatoes you can skip this step.
- Peel and roughly chop plum tomatoes or half the cherry tomatoes into a bowl.
- Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil, half the basil and salt to taste. Toss.
- Cover and refrigerate about 15-25 minutes. This helps develop the flavors.
- Using tongs smoke the sourdough or kadak pao over an open gas flame until slightly smoky and lightly blackened.
- Rub one side of every slice generously with the garlic cloves.
- Divide the chopped tomato mixture between the toasts and garnish with the rest of the basil. Drizzle more olive oil if desired.
- Serve immediately.
© 2023 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande