- Also known as Dudh Ka Sharbat this refreshing, chilled, spiced drink is a good alternative to Mithai. You can also make it with semi skimmed or 2% milk for a lighter beverage and use a sugar substitute.
- For 8 persons
- 1.5 liters of Whole Milk or semi skimmed milk
- 1-1.25 cups of granulated sugar (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon finely powdered seeds of green cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon finely powdered white peppercorns
- 10 Unsalted blanched and toasted Almonds finely powdered
- Spice Mix
- 1 tablespoon Melon seeds (magaz) soaked in warm water for 2 hours, drained and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon White Poppy seeds (khuskhus/posto) soaked in warm water for 2 hours, drained and dried
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, lightly toasted
- For the garnish
- 10-12 Unsalted toasted Cashews broken into pieces
- 10-12 Unsalted, toasted Pistachios halved
- 8 strands of Saffron (kesar) crushed with a pestle
- Heat the milk and sugar on a low flame.
- While it reaches a boil grind together all the ingredients for the spice mix. Reserve.
- When the milk reaches a boil and the sugar has dissolved stir in the white pepper and cardamom. Switch off flame and stir in spice paste and mix well. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Using a fine sieve strain the mixture into a pitcher.
- Stir in nuts, powdered almonds and saffron. Taste for sweetness. Stir in more sugar if required.
- Chill 4-6 hours. Stir and serve cold in highball glasses, punch cups or goblets.
© 2023 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande