Kalan is always prepared for onam sadya but its a great dish for anyday.mine is adapted because i put in several veggies and legumes to to make it a dish that can be a complete meal. you can substitute some of these items. LEAVE OUT THE DRUMSTICKS if you prefer AND USE doodhi instead of ash gourd, red peas instead of black eyed peas.
- 200 grams raw banana peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 250 grams peeled and diced ash gourd in 1 inch pieces
- 10 2 inch long pieces of drumsticks, moringa or shevya che shenga
- 1 cup black eyed peas soaked in water overnight
For Coconut Paste
- stalks removed
- ½ teaspoon mustard or cumin seeds
- ¼ to ⅓ cup water – for grinding
- 1 cup sour curd
- ¼ cup water to be added later – add only if required and if the gravy is very thick
For Tempering Kalan
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- lightly crushed
- 2 dried red chilies
- 10 to 12 fresh green curry leaves
Put 5 cups of water in a pressure cooker and add the black eyed peas, drumsticks, turmeric, 1 tsp salt and black pepper. Cook on medium heat for 2 whistles. Add remaining veggies and more water if required and pressure cooker for another whistle.
While vegetables are cooking grind ingredients for coconut paste and whisk the yogurt to a smooth consistency
Put the coconut paste and yogurt in a skillet on medium heat. keep stirring or it will split. Cook until it comes to a rapid heat then pour over the veggies and stir. . Add more water if required and cook 5 minutes stirring from time to time. Add salt and jaggery if required to balance flavours.
Heat oil in a heatproof pan on high hear. Add all the spices and cook till they sizzle.
Pour over Kalan and mix well. Serve with boiled rice or chapatis.