This cake is eggless and easy to make. use a large pressure cooker that can fit your cake pan.
Ingredients for an 8-9 inch cake
- 350g all purpose flour/ refined flour or maida
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 90g unsweetened Dutched cocoa, sifted
- 400g fine white sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tbsp whole milk or soy milk
- 1/2 cup apple sauce from a jar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 150g butter melted or vegetable oil
- 300 ml room temperature water
- Pinch of salt
- Thick aluminium foil
- Pressure cooker
- water and 2 cups of sand
- 8-9 inch cake pan 2-2.5 inches deep well greased with vegetable oil (this must fit inside your cooker. You can use a bundt cake pan as well.
For the glaze combine on low heat until smooth-
- 200 ml coconut milk of heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 125 grans semi sweet chocolate or use vegan bitter chocolate and add icing sugar to it
Set pressure cooker without a whistle to heat with some water in it on medium hear. Grease cake pan with oil lightly.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa together. Stir in melted butter or oil, milk, apple sauce and water and stir to just combine- don’t over beat it. Combine vinegar and baking soda and stir until it begins to fizz. Add to the batter and mix well. Pour batter into greased cake pan of your choice and stir well until all ingredients combined. Do not over beat cake batter.
Wrap top of tin tightly with foil. Remove most of the water form the hot cooker. Add sand, a stand on which to place the cake pan. Cover. Don’t use the whistle. Place on cooker and cook on low heat for 45-50 minutes until cake is cooked.
Open and remove foil. Test with a cake tester to ensure the cake is baked through. If tester comes out clean cake is ready otherwise return to the cooker.
Cool cake in tin at least 30 minutes. Loosen sides of cake if required with a sharp knife and unmold on to a serving plate
Glaze with fudge or buttercream or ganache. If you’ve use a bundt cake pan I recommend the frosting in this recipe.