This recipe can be adapted for different flavours. You can substitute the rum with caramel or maple water. You can use cinnamon instead of nutmeg and allspice. Whiskey is also an option to dark rum. Make sure to butter and flour the pan evenly and preheat oven to 350F. Watch Bundt Cake Tips on my Instagram profile or Facebook Videos.
- 1.25 cups melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark rum or caramel or maple syrup water (see note below*)
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (2 if you are not using dark rum)
- 1 teaspoon powdered nutmeg (cinnamon and cardamom powders can be substituted as well)
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered allspice or cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon lime or lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2.5 cups all purpose flour sifted plus more for flouring
- Vegetable oil or non stick cake spray for Bundt cake pan (10 cup capacity pan)
OPTIONAL FOR GLAZING
1 cup caramel sauce mixed with 2 tbsp dark rum or whiskey
1 cup toffee sauce
Confectioners sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare lower rack.
- Grease the Bundt cake pan (I used Heritage Nordicware Pan) with excessive oil then dust generously with flour to cover all crevices and nooks of the Bundt Cake pan. Then turn pan over and tap out the excess by smacking the pan lightly on the counter top.
- In a mixing bowl of a stand or hand mixer combine the first 8 ingredients and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the lemon juice and baking soda to the buttermilk, stir and whisk into the batter.
- Cup by cup add the flour and beat until well incorporated. Do not over beat.
- Pour into Bundt Cake pan. Tap pan a few times against the counter to ensure the batter settles into the shape of your pan and air bubbles are removed. Use a spatula and smooth the top of batter.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool 25 minutes in the pan. Donot unmold it for several hours.
- Brush some of the caramel sauce over the top of the cake as it sits in the cake pan with a pastry brush if you are using a sauce. Do not pour it over the cake or into the sides. This is done to keep the top moist while the cake cools.
- Cool completely for several hours if required until the pan is at room temperature.
- To unmold shake the pan a little to loosen the cake. Avoid using a knife if possible. Turn over slowly onto a cake plate.
- Brush with more sauce or just dust with confectioners sugar.
*FOR RUM SUBSTITUTE
Stir together 2 tbspns maple syrup and one cup hot water. Cool then add to batter.
Heat 3 tbsp caramel or toffee sauce with 1 cup water until dissolved. Cool and add to batter.