- Makes 6 6.5-7 inch rounds
- 1 cup fine semolina/rawa
- 6 tbsp ghee or butter
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1 ripe yellow banana, peeled and mashed
- 1/2-1 tsp ground green cardamom seeds
- 2 cups hot water
- 4 tbsp sugar or more to taste
- FOR THE DOUGH
- 2 cups atta flour (chapatti flour, this is different from standard wholewheat flours at grocery stores)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2-3/4 cup water for kneading
- Ghee for frying
- FOR THE DOUGH Knead the chappati flour with salt in a large bowl or use a food processor. Add water, a tablespoon at a time until you have a firm, soft but not sticky dough. Knead several times until your dough is shiny and pliable. Rub all over with oil, cover and let rest 30 minutes in a warm, airy part of your kitchen. In India the entire kitchen is warm so leave it covered under a fan.
- FOR THE SHEERA
- Set the sugar, cardamom and water to boil.
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick pan and add the semolina. Roast it 5-7 minutes on medium heat until fragrant. Add the banana and almond flour and stir well. immediately add the hot water. mixture will splutter. Stir quickly until banana and almond flour is well incorporated and you have a sticky and soft sheera. Cool completely.
- TO ASSEMBLE
- Knead the dough again and on a clean flat surface dusted with chappati atta divide dough into 6 or 7 equal pieces.
- Roll one piece into a 4 inch round. Place it in the palm of your hand and fill the center of the dough with 1/3-1/4 cup sheera. Pleat the dough around the sheera to form a dumpling, creating small pleats with your thumb and index finger. Remove the excess dough off the top by pinching a piece of the pleats off.
- Pat the dumpling and using both palms round the sides off. Place on a well dusted chappati board or a flat surface and slowly roll from the center outwards until you have a round, even flatbread about 1/5 inch thick.
- In a non stick pan on low heat or use a tawa cook both sides until golden and very lightly blistered. Only after they have cooked through brush with ghee and cook again until golden and fragrant on both sides.
- Remove with a flat spatula and let cool 5 minutes before serving or cool completely and store refrigerated in a round box for 3 days. Do not fold.
© 2022 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande