- I use some semolina in this recipe because it makes the halwa easier to slice.
- 200 grams whole almonds with skin
- 400 grams sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 3 tablespoons of fine semolina
- 5 strands of saffron, powdered in a mortar and pestle
- 1 tablespoon shelled salted and roasted pistachios toasted and broken into little bits
- Toast the whole almonds and 2 tablespoons of ghee in a large non stick skillet on medium heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring to prevent burning until golden and fragrant. Remove from pan and cool.
- Add remaining ghee and semolina and toast stirring constantly about 4-5 minutes.
- Grind cooled almonds to a smooth paste.
- Add to the semolina and toast another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and stir for 20-25 minutes until the Halwa pulls away from the sides of the pan and begins to resemble a sticky dough.
- Sprinkle with saffron and stir well.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool about 25 minutes in the pan.
- Lightly grease a 12 by 12 inch tray with melted ghee. Spread the badam halwa over the tray with a spatula and smoothen to create an evenly thick layer.
- Sprinkle with pounded pistachios.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
- Remove and slice into desired shapes and sizes. Cover with plastic again and refrigerate 3 hours.
- Remove and gently ease each piece onto a serving tray. Let sit 25 minutes. Serve.
- Alternatively you could wrap each piece into wax paper and twist both ends to form an individual piece of candy.
© 2024 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande