- If you omit the Parmesan you will need additional salt. You can also use Chilgoza, the Indian equivalent of pine nuts for the pesto.
- Ingredients for 4
- 450-500 grams pasta such as elbow macaroni, Farfalle, Fusilli or Gemelli
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or almonds lightly toasted
- 1.5 cups tightly packed of arugula or rocket leaves washed, large stalks removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot about 4-5 inches long scraped, cleaned and diced finely
- 1 unpeeled zucchini washed and diced finely
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chilli flakes or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set a stock pot of water to boil on high heat. Stir in a pinch of salt and cover.
- Heat olive oil on a medium flame in a non-stick pan and saute carrots about 2-3 minutes. Add zucchini and saute until tender but not mushy. Add chilli flakes and saute 30 seconds.
- When water is boiling add pasta and cook until al dente or to your taste. In india, I cook the pasta about 2 minutes less than the time provided on the packaging. In our heat and humidity I find the pasta continues to soften even after its drained.
- Drain pasta and reserve 3-4 tablespoons of the pasta water. Use the rest for a soup or dal.
- One the pasta is drained toss with half the sauteed carrots and zucchini.
- Puree the chopped rocket or arugula leaves in a food processor with garlic, pine nuts, parmesan and butter to form a coarse paste. If you are vegan omit the Parmesan.
- Taste for salt.
- Toss pasta in the spinach pesto. Season with black pepper, garnish with more parmesan and remaining sauteed zucchini and carrots.
© 2022 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande