- This is a hearty dish ideal for hungry families and large groups. Add diced bacon or pancetta to the onions if you are not vegetarian. You can use other pasta shapes too like fusilli, penne, fettuccine for this dish.
- Serves 4
- 1 kg pumpkin or lal kadoo peeled and cut into inch size pieces
- 1 cup finely sliced onions
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 12 6-7 inch chives finely chopped (use sage or parsley if you prefer)
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan grated
- 1/2 cup Gruyere or Emmenthaler shredded or grated
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbspns butter unsalted
- salt to taste
- Aprox 400-500 grams spaghetti
- Set water with a 1/4 teaspoon of salt to boil for the pasta.
- Heat butter and oil in an over sized saucepan on medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft and just beginning to caramelize. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add red chilli flakes and stir well. Add pumpkin and toss well to coat. Cook 4-5 minutes and stir from time to time to prevent burning.
- Lower flame and add cream. Toss well.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook al dente or follow package instructions.
- Add one cup of the boiling pasta water to the pumpkin sauce. Stir. Cook until pumpkin is tender but holds its shape. Add cracked black pepper and toss.
- Drain pasta. Add to the pumpkin and toss to coat. Add more pasta water if required to create the consistency you like.
- Ladle into a serving bowl. Add the two cheese and toss again. Taste and adjust for salt. Garnish with chopped chives. Serve immediately.
© 2023 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande