- This golden, luscious Marmalade cake pictured here, is full of candied orange and a hint of cognac, is often over looked during the festive season and it’s such a pity because it’s so easy to make, doesn’t need steeping and is packed with fruity flavour. It’s a lighter option to the dense fruitcakes available in shops during the X'mas season. I recommend you use a good quality thin cut marmalade where atleast 20% of the preserve is rind. Otherwise add finely sliced candied orange rind to the cake batter. This cake is so good I hope you will consider it a keeper on your ‘tea time treats to bake’ list. When you have a slice or two left, toast one and slather it with butter. It’s to die for.
- FOR A STANDARD 9 INCH LOAF
- 2 CUPS REFINED FLOUR OR MAIDA SIFTED WITH
- 1 TSP BAKING SODA AND 1 TSP POWDERED NUTMEG
- 1 TSP VANILLA
- 1 TEASPOON LIME ZEST
- 1.5 TABLESPOONS COGNAC OR BRANDY
- 1/2 CUP GOLDEN HONEY
- 1 CUP THIN CUT GOOD QUALITY MARMALADE WITH 20% RIND OR ADD 1/4 CUP CANDIED SLICED ORANGE RIND TO THE BATTER
- 2 EGGS AT ROOM TEMPERATURE LIGHTY BEATEN
- GREASE A 9 INCH LOAF PAN AND PREHEAT OVEN TO 350F. PREPARE THE BOTTOM RACK.
- BEAT THE BUTTER AND HONEY IN A STAND MIXER ON MEDIUM SPEED. ADD THE LIME ZEST AND VANILLA AND BEAT UNTIL FLUFFY.
- ADD THE EGGS ONE BY ONE AND BEAT UNTIL SMOOTH (BATTER WILL APPEAR CURDLED).
- ADD THE MARMALADE AND BEAT AGAIN. ADD THE FLOUR MIXTURE A CUP AT A TIME UNTIL THE BATTER IS WELL INCORPORATED. ADD THE COGNAC AND BEAT UNTIL WELL INCORPORATED.
- POUR INTO GREASED CAKE PAN AND BAKE ON THE LOWER RACK FOR 25 MINUTES.
- THEN MOVE TO THE CENTER RACK IN THE OVEN AND BAKE UNTIL A TOOTHPICK COMES OUT CLEAN.
- COOL COMPLETELY BEFORE YOU UNMOLD THE CAKE.
© 2022 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande