- Makes 24 standard cupcakes 1.5 inch bottom width
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 250 grams) of unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing pans
- 1.75 cups castor or granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature, whisked lightly
- Juice and zest of one lime
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups maida or all purpose flour sifted with 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk at room temperature
- FOR FROSTING
- ABOUT 360 GRAMS CREAM CHEESE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 50 GRAMS SALTED BUTTER, SOFTENED
- 1.5 CUPS CONFECTIONERS SUGAR
- 1/4 CUP LEMON BARLEY WATER OR USE 3 TBSPNS LIME JUICE AND 1/4 CUP CONFECTIONERS SUGAR
- 1 TBSP LEMON OR LIME ZEST
- Preheat oven to 350F OR 175C and prepare middle rack. Line cupcake tray with 2.5 inch high and 1.5 inch wide disposable cupcake liners, also called cake cups.
- Beat the sugar and butter in stand mixer on medium speed or use a hand whisk until fluffy and well incorporated.
- Add eggs one at a time and whisk until well incorporated. Add lime juice, zest and vanilla and whisk again.
- Add flour and baking powder mixture 1/2 cup at a time and beat again until well incorporated.
- Add milk a little at a time and continue to beat until well mixed.
- Pour into standard size cupcake liners, do not fill over 2 inches in depth.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the centre of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
- FOR FROSTING
- Whisk all the ingredients for the frosting in a stand mixer or use an electric whisk and beat until fluffy and well combined.
- Frost each cupcakes and garnish with edible or sugar paste flowers, toppers, lime zest as per taste.
© 2022 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande