- 200 grams soft mild goats' milk cheese or mellow and creamy Feta-softened but cold
- 150 grams butter unsalted, softened but cold
- 500 grams all purpose flour or maida plus more for dusting and rolling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- chilled water
- Serve with a good quality honey like Manuka or wildflower.
- In a food processor pulse the flour, salt and baking powder for 10 seconds. Add butter and pulse again until loose crumbs form about 30-45 seconds. Add butter and pulse until dough comes together in a clumpy mass. Add a tablespoon of chilled water and more if required to bind the dough.
- Remove from the food processor onto a clean surface dusted generously with flour. Dust hand with flour and knead dough lightly. It will be a very soft and moist dough.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven 350F. Line two baking trays with parchment, wax or butter paper to go into the middle of the oven one over the other.
- Remove from the fridge, unwrap and cut into 2 portions. Keep one covered.
- Dust clean flat surface with flour. Dust rolling pin and cookie cutter of your choice with flour.
- Roll the dough into a circle about 1/3 inch thick and cut out desired shapes.
- Place about 1/2 inch apart on both trays.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake until golden and fragrant 35 minutes. After 15 minutes move the bottom tray to the top and the top to the bottom. Also turn both trays around to ensure even baking.
- Cool completely, pack in an airtight container and keep refrigerated.
- Serve at room temperature with golden honey and toasted walnuts.
© 2022 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande