- Ingredients for 25-30 1.25 inch balls
- 2 cups or 500 gram raw chick peas
- 10 tablespoons maida or refined flour
- 2 tablespoons cracked wheat (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoons freshly roasted and ground cumin powdered finely
- 1.5 teaspoons cayenne pepper or red chilli powder
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped white onions
- 2 tablepoons fresh chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- Soak chickpeas and cracked wheat in excess water overnight. Sift baking powder, salt and flour together. Stir in all dried spices and reserve.
- Drain chick peas completely. Wipe dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Pulse onions and garlic cloves in the food processor until you get coarse bread crumbs. Do not add water and do not grind to a paste. Add drained chick peas and grind again to get a coarse breadcrumb consistency. Put ground chick peas in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mixture of flour, spices and baking powder and mix together manually until the mixture gets clumpy and you can shape them into balls. Add coriander leaves and mix well. No water is required. If you are finding the mixture is not holding together add some more flour.
- Heat 3 inches of vegetable oil in a Kadai or deep skillet on high. When oil is hot but not smoking fry one ball. Lower the ball into the oil and reduce heat immediately to medium. Fry till golden brown. Taste for flavor and doneness. Add more salt and spices as required. Drain fried Falafels and serve with hummous, warm pita, babaghanoush, tabouleh and any other condiments you like.
© 2022 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande