- Makes 18-20
- Ebelskivers are fluffy mini Danish pancakes made over a stove top. You can buy a special pan to make these or use an Appe Patra pan sold in shops and online in India. They are made plain, stuffed with various jams, chocolate chips and many variations. You can served them dusted with confectioners sugar, honey and jam on the side. Some pans come with a small hooked bamboo tool that is used to flip the pancakes over but you can also use 2 chopsticks, large toothpicks or a small plastic fork.
- 1 cup all purpose flour or Maida
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine white sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup plain whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter such as Amul, melted plus 2tablespoons more for brushing
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- Honey, maple syrup, powdered cinnamon
- In a small bowl, mix together the yeast a pinch of sugar and a 1/4 cup of Luke warm water and allow it to sit for 5 minutes. When it gets foamy stir in the flour and sugar. Let sit open in a large bowl in a warm corner of your kitchen for an hour and a half. It will double in volume.
- Stir in baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk and vanilla extract until combined. Stir into the yeast fermented batter. Mixture should be lumpy—do not over mix.
- Whisk egg whites with an electric mixer or whisk until stiff peak forms and gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Put ebelskiver or appe pan over medium high heat. Using a pastry brush generously bruch each cavity with melted butter.When hot and sizzling add 1.5 tablespoons of batter to each cavity. Make sure to leave a little space as the pancakes will rise when they cook. Lower flame.
- Cook Ebelskivers until bottoms are golden, about 3-4 minutes, then using a small toothpick, special ebelskiver bamboo tool or a small fork flip the hemispherical pancake over and continue to cook until bottoms are also golden, 3-3.5 minutes more.
- Transfer to a plate and cool 1-2 minutes. Dust with confectioner's sugar and serve with sides.
© 2024 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande