- This is a great way to use up leftover egg whites
- Makes 20 macaroons about 1 inch wide
- 800 grams freshly, thick, shredded coconut or unsweetened shredded coconut
- 800 grams sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon zest of lime
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking tray with wax or parchment paper.
- Stir together the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed with a whisk or electric mixer to form medium stiff peaks. Slowly fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture using a flat spatula.
- You want to ensure they are mixed well but use a light hand so as not to deflate the egg whites.
- Use two tablespoons or an ice cream scoop to scoop the mixture in portions on the parchment.
- Bake for 250-30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and serve.
- Keep in an airtight box for 2-3 days.
© 2022 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande