- There is nothing most classic and comforting than a roast chicken dinner.
- To cook a roast chicken that has a golden crispy skin and a fully cooked but moist inside make sure the oven is preheated when the chicken goes in. I like to cook mine at a low temperature for the first 35 minutes and then increase the temperature towards the end.
- I recommend serving this chicken with Pommes Dauphinoise Gratin and a simple green salad.
- Serves 4-5
- 1.25-1.5 kg chicken for roasting
- 1/4 cup black peppercorns, coarsely smashed
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Large roasting pan
- In a small saucepan melt the vinegar, butter and oil over a slow flame. Whisk to emulsify. Do not boil this. Remove from flame and cool.
- If you have washed the chicken wipe it dry with paper towels.
- Tuck the wings under the sides.and truss (Tie together) the chicken legs with some kitchen string.
- Using a pastry brush or a spoon coat the chicken with the vinegar mixture. Use your fingers to apply this to the inside of the skin. Push 3 smashed garlic cloves into the chicken cavity. Rub the remaining over the chicken and tuck inside the skin. Coat the top of the chicken with the crushed black pepper.
- Cover chicken and refrigerate 30 minutes
- Remove the chicken from the fridge and let sit 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325F nd prepare bottom rung.
- Roast chicken for 45 minutes for a 1.5 kg chicken and ten minutes less for a 1.25 kg in the lower rung.
- Move chicken to the middle rung. Using a tablespoon or a basting brush brush the juices at the bottom of the pan all over the chicken. and increase the temperature to 400F.
- Cook until the chicken skin in golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let rest 15 minutes before serving. This is important to allow the meat to rest and the juices to settle before you carve it.
- Remove the chicken from the pan onto your carving plate and strain any remaining liquid into a gravy dish.Discard bits unless there are pieces of garlic. Keep those -they are yummy.
- Serve the jus on the side.
© 2023 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande