- Serves 6
- 1/2 kg broccoli with stalks
- 2 fresh red chillies finely sliced into thin rings
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup white onions finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 large carrot finely minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon rice flour
- 1 cup whole-milk or heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- croutons and hot sauce such as Habanero to serve
- Combine the chopped red chillies and salt in a small bowl and mix. Reserve. The salt mellows the acid int he chillies making them less hot.
- Remove the stalk of the broccoli and slice into tiny pieces and reserve. Cut broccoli into florets. Reserve separately.
- Finely chop carrots.
- Heat oil and butter in a medium size point on medium flame. Add onions and 3/4 of the chopped red chillies and sea salt. Saute until soft and translucent. Add garlic, chopped stalks of broccoli and carrots. Saute another 3-4 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets, black pepper and toss well. Pour water to just cover the tops of the broccoli. Stir in rice flour. Cook open until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in milk or cream and continue cooking 2-3 minutes.
- Cool then puree to a smooth or consistency. I like to leave bit of broccoli and carrot in the soup for texture but its up to you. Add salt and stir.
- Taste for salt and spiciness. Stir in some Habanero hot sauce and salt if required.
- Pour hot soup into bowls, mugs or cups. Garnish with leftover salted red chillies and croutons.
© 2023 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande