- Fish Alberas
- ½ kg grouper/perch/croaker/ steaks
- 1-teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1-teaspoon salt
- 100 grams red onion peeled and sliced into thin rings
- 125 grams cooking potatoes, washed peeled and sliced in thin rounds
- 200 grams red plum tomatoes washed and sliced into thin rounds
- 2 dried Kashmiri red chilies, stalks removed
- 1-teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons ginger root peeled and julienned
- 6 cloves of garlic slightly smashed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Sprinkle turmeric, salt and red chili powder over the fish fillets. Reserve.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan (about 10 inches wide and 2-3 inches deep) on a medium flame. Add cumin seeds and Kashmiri chilies sauté one minute. Add onions, ginger root, garlic cloves, ¼ teaspoon salt and sauté 30 seconds. Layer the top with half the tomatoes. Sprinkle with a little salt. Then add the potatoes, sprinkle with a little more salt, cover and let cook on a slow flame about 6-7 minutes.
- Layer the fish over the tomatoes. Layer the top with remaining tomatoes. Add ¼ cup of water. Cover and cook on a slowly flame until the fish is cooked. Serve warm with Phulkas or boiled rice.
© 2023 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande