- A quick and easy dish for a family dinner. Capers are an astringent flower bud that generally comes pickled in small jars. Use Italian eggplant also called brinjal or aubergine
- Serves 5- 6
- 500 grams penne or rigatoni pasta
- 2 cups Italian eggplant diced 1/2 inch pieces) and fried or grilled until tender
- 1 kg of good quality tinned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp unsalted capers
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes crushed or more to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- salt and sugar to taste
- 1 cup bechamel sauce
- 1.25 cups low fat shredded cheese such as mozzarella or Mexican mix
- Heat the oil and saute the onions until soft on medium flame.
- Add garlic ansd saute again about 1-2 minutes until garlic is soft and fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, capers, chilli flakes, black pepper and oregano. Stir well and cook about 10 minutes on medium flame then stir in 2 cups of water and let it reach a boil. Take off the fire.
- Add salt and sugar to taste. Stir in eggplant and pasta.
- Pour into a 9 by 12 by 3 inch baking dish or a similar sized baking dish. Cover with foil and let rest 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Remove foil and top the pasta with the cheese sauce. Spread evenly. Cover loosely again with foil and bake in the middle rack 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until top is golden.
- Serve warm with a side of salad.
© 2022 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande