- For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup fine rava, sooji or semolina (you can also use fine yellow cornmeal)
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1.5 cups maida or all purpose flour
- 8 Turkish apricots washed and dried
- 4 Turkish apricots washed, dried and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 125 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fine granulated sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh, plain unsweetened yogurt or Dahi
- For glazing -1/2 cup apricot jam warmed in a small pan
- Wondering what to do with the extra egg whites? Read my food story- How Use Leftover Egg Whites
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Set the baking tray in the middle of the oven.
- Butter and flour an 9-inch round cake pan.
- Stir together the ground almonds, semolina or cornmeal, flour and baking powder.
- Beat the butter, lemon zest and vanilla together by hand or use an electric whisk. Add the sugar and continue to beat.
- Then add all the eggs and beat until thoroughly mixed. Stir in yogurt or dahi and chopped apricots.
- Cup by cup add the dry ingredients until incorporated. Do not over beat.
- Pour the batter into the greased and lined cake pan. Bang the cake pan against the countertop so the batter settles evenly. Dot the top of the cake with the whole apricots. Press down gently but do not submerge the fruit in batter.
- Bake about 35 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cake to make sure cake has cooked all the way through.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool. Transfer the cake from the pan to a serving plate, glaze over the jam and serve.
© 2022 All content copyright: Tara Deshpande